Saturday, March 5, 2011

Smiles in Seattle

So... my trip up to Seattle wasn't THAT spectacular (the only time I spent in Seattle proper was spent in a fencing studio), but it was still a lot of fun. I got to spend the night in a really nice Condo in Tacoma, and I slept in a bed with a really cushy comforter that made me feel like I was sleeping on a cloud. We stopped in Portland on our way back, and walked around Pioneer Place a bit. The stores there are kind of pricy, and it's a little claustrophobic, but it's still really nice, and I had a really good time. Obligatory gushing out of the way, here's a short tidbit of writing for you:
He smiled at her, the first time they met. She smiled back, but only because it was polite. "Hi, my names James." He said. She said nothing. It was disconcerting, but nothing he couldn't adapt to. "Have you lived in Salem for a while?" He asked. She nodded, but still said nothing. Now she was just plain getting on his nerves. He tried one more time. "The weather's been awfully warm for this time of year." She raised an eyebrow at him, but still said nothing. He glanced over to where their mothers were standing, chatting away. He looked back at the girl. He squinted. He made some vague gestures that could have been considered Sign Language by a child. She pursed her lips. She started to shake. Before long, she burst out laughing. "You are so weird! You know how badly that could have offended someone?" "No worse than not talking to them at all" "Toche. Anyhoo, the name's Harriet, but don't you dare call me that." "What am I supposed to call you then?" "I don't really care, so long as it's not Harriet." "Hm... Rose it is then." "Why Rose?" "I'll tell you when I feel like it, and not a moment sooner." "Fine. But that makes you more weird, just so you know." "I can accept that."

No comments:

Post a Comment